Re: [OxLUG] 32bit or 64bit ubuntu for Mum?

Author: Dave Ewart
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] 32bit or 64bit ubuntu for Mum?
On Friday, 13.11.2009 at 04:44 +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> [...]
>
> The 64-bit kernel will run faster, especially if you have >= about 1GB
> RAM and/or are encrypting disks, and let you run specific individual
> 64-bit userland things if you need to. Though, I guess your Mum isn't
> likely to do the latter. :-)
>
> I've read that 64-bit userland takes more RAM than 32-bit userland,
> but often runs a bit faster despite that because of the better
> instruction set.
>
> [...]

You are essentially saying that "a 64-bit OS runs faster than a 32-bit
OS". I've _never_ seen this to be the case and that factor is thus
never a consideration when deciding between 32-bit and 64-bit for me;
the only considerations are, generally, (i) support of proprietary
software/plugins - if important, this favours 32-bit on the whole, and
(ii) support for Lots Of RAM - if important, this favours 64-bit.

I don't believe what you say is generally true. Can you provide any
references to back up what you say?

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart

Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford / Cancer Research UK
N 51.7516, W 1.2152