[OxLUG] data recovery help needed

Author: phil Kolodij
To: oxlug
Subject: [OxLUG] data recovery help needed
hi all

the saga continues.. My Wd Mybook nas died so i pulled the disk, the fs used for the data partition was id's as Linux Raid by both Win and knoppix which i am running of a live cd.

after a lil browsing i discovered that the fs should be ext3, so i used that type in my mount command to access the data.

I started to copy data off and discovered the pc only has usb1 functioning (a usb2 pci card is in the box)..

but the copy process fell over last night.. (i used drag n drop copy and no usefull error message was remembered as i clicked without thinkin..)

t tried fsck and came up with some errors, and left me not knowing the best way to proceed.
(OldData is the mount point for the disk to recover /dev/sda4, NewData, the destination /dev/sdb1...)

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB, 20020396032 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2586 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf9460f44

/dev/hda1   *           1        2585    19542568+   7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00007c00

/dev/sda1               4         369     2939895   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2             370         382      104422+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3             383         505      987997+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda4             506      121601   972703620   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x742fd276

/dev/sdb1               1      182401  1465136001    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fsck /dev/sda4
fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
fsck: fsck.mdraid: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.mdraid for /dev/sda4

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fsck /OldData
fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /OldData

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

** Normally I would be happy to play about with this and learn as i go, but as I am trying to recover data from a disk which has got problems, the longer i faf n fail; the more chance i have of loosing the data forever.. its taken me days to get knoppix up as i initialy tried using a 10inch 16 colour vga screen which only gave me shell access before i borrowed a bigger one...

should i consider formating my destination disk (external usb) as ext3 and using a low level copy like dd or dd_rescue to move the data before validation? if so could i then convert the fs to a (sorry about tis ) win friendly fs with a tool akin to partition magic??

there is a pint or 6 in anyone who lead me in the correct direction here, my unix skills are way out of date and the notebook with all my cribs in is lost..
I have a dip in linux waters every now n again but am not a proficent user at all and am at the bottom of the beginers pile i fear having used little else than a browser n wordprocessor the last 6 yrs

tia PK.