Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms

Author: Mark Robson
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms
2010/1/12 Mark Robson <>

> 2010/1/12 Sad Clouds <>
>
> Yeah nginx is pretty quick, but I think it was designed to serve mainly
>> static
>> files. It doesn't have many advanced features yet.

Essentially, if your web servers are spending 99.9% of their effort doing
dynamic content, if a Java web server is 10x less efficient for static
content than (say) Nginx, then they only spend 99% of their time doing
dynamic content.

Which really doesn't matter. Dynamic content is what loads your servers.

In any case, if your serving high volumes of static content, your bandwidth
costs dwarf your server costs (power etc), and you really want to be looking
at using a CDN (CDNs charge less for bandwidth than you probably pay and
give users better service because they use geographical load balancing)

Mark