Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms

Author: Simon Huggins
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:16:28AM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
> On 01/12/10 10:43, Simon Huggins wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:31:00AM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
>>> The cost of employing competent C or C++ coders and giving them enough
>>> time to develop something robust and efficient is highly unlikely to
>>> be cheaper than going for a Java solution.
>> This is because Java solutions never involve competent coders right?
>> Because everyone bought into the whole idea that anyone can write java.
> Of course they involve competent coders, however in my experience the
> pool of competent Java coders is much larger than that of C or C++
> ones. Many university courses use Java as their primary choice of
> language, often to the exclusion of any language that involves the
> explicit use of pointers or memory management. While it helps to
> understand what's going on under the hood, many of the Java programmers
> I've worked with pick this up as they become more experienced.

Memory management (and garbage collection) is my main bone of contention
with the developers I work with. I don't think teaching a language
that appears not to require you to think about such things is a good
thing.

But you're right that good programmers (in whatever language) care about
the resources their code uses and know not to blindly trust that just
because a project's website says the library will behave in such a way
that it will and so on.

--
----------( "Ok, I think we got off on the wrong foot here"  )----------
----------(  "That's all you got lady.  Two wrong feet and   )----------