Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms

Author: Simon Dales
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Web platforms
On Tuesday 12 Jan 2010 13:12, Chris Wareham wrote:
> I agree. I'd argue that a good degree course aiming to teach
> programming as a profession should start with C. It should also include
> enough about assembly language programming that it imparts an
> understanding of how a computer works at the processor instruction
> level.

Some of the computing lectures taught using a 3 bit blackboard computer.
Simple enough we could program it in machine code. When men were men.

We were taught Fortran +Basic. I also taught myself Pascal (quichy).

> Once the fundamentals are understood, then it's time to move onto
> something higher level like Java. While teaching Java, it's a good
> opportunity to learn the trade offs of garbage collection versus manual
> memory management in a language like C - such information is both
> technically interesting and of practical use.

Also how to not temp the garbage collection into having anything to do. Don't
create any more objects than you really need, then your recycling boxes
remain empty.

One application in C++ speeded up by overloading the new/delete operators. So
rather than being at the mercy of the Borland/DOS memory "management", I just
allocated stuff out of my own array.

--
"The impossible is easy"
Purrsoft