Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home

Author: Philip Armstrong
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:06:43PM +0100, Sam Lade wrote:
>On graphics cards, ATI drivers are hopeless, yes. Sound card support is
>pretty good now - Creative's current x-fi line is supported by ALSA now.
>Haven't had wifi troubles in years.

By all accounts they used to be hopeless, but the ones for my HD5750
appear to be both stable and performant.

Like NVidia, ATI moved to a single source base driver for both Windows
and Linux a couple of years ago. I think things started to improve
after that, but it takes a long time for old reputations to die.

Phil