Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home

Author: Jonathan McDowell
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:06:43PM +0100, Sam Lade wrote:

> On graphics cards, ATI drivers are hopeless, yes.

It's been at least 2 years since I suffered with fglrx, but it was
fairly bad at that time. However I switched to the Free drivers as soon
as they supported my card and have been very happy with them; the 3D
support for the latest cards isn't there yet, but as this is my work
machine the fact it handles 2D dual head at high res with good
performance is what matters.

There /is/ ongoing work on getting the 3D working, with AMD having
released various bits of specification to help. nVidia, on the other
hand, seem determined never to get round to engaging with the Free
software community in terms of non binary drivers (though that was the
case with Broadcom until this week too, so maybe there's hope yet).

J.

--
   101 things you can't have too   |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
       much of : 33 - Jokes.       | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed