Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home

Author: ael
To: mobbsey, Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:43:35AM +0100, Paul Mobbs wrote:

> A bit of a tangent on this thread but...
>
> Most people seem to be promoting high-powered boards/overclocking/bigger =
> better, solutions. Personally I've always thought it rather uneconomic to go
> for the latest power boards when you can network older machines to achieve
> much the same outcome (which is precisely the reason I started using Linux
> back in 1999, networking half a dozen boxes to crunch data).

[..snap..]
> In focussing on the speed of the hardware are we missing one of the most
> powerful features that we are free to play with when using Linux... System
> design!

Well I agree & suspect that I have even older hardware still running.
But it does eat power compared with modern systems. But the main point
of my reply is that I often notice kernel developers saying "no one has
any of those any more: can't be bothered to update.." or words to that
effect.

In the early days of linux, most kernel dev was done by people with very
limited cash & resources. Nowadays, many kernel devs, often the same people,
have plush jobs & almost unlimited resources. There is a tendency to
forget not everyone is in the same position & some of the original
motivations. A broad generalisation, I know, but there is some truth
there.

Adrian