Re: [OxLUG] What would make the biggest difference to my pro…

Author: Paul Mobbs
To: peter, Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [OxLUG] What would make the biggest difference to my processing speed?
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] What would make the biggest difference to my processing speed?
On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:47:44 am Peter Green wrote:
> I'm thinking that it's not very energy efficient running all those boxes
> though, or space saving, but it does re-use older machines that would
> other wise be thrown away perhaps.

The machine that runs 24/7 running Internet-related stuff is a 1.6GHz laptop --
mostly pulls between 15W (average -- about the same as an energ efficient bulb)
and 80W (when encoding video). Using an old laptop as a server is by far the
most efficient way of running torrents/spiders, and for running services for the
household network.

The other machines are only turned on as and when required.

On the other hand, when it gets cold in my office in the Winter I look forward
to turning on the whole menagerie because to keeps the room warm.

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864
email -
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml