Re: [OxLUG] What would make the biggest difference to my pro…

Author: John Winters
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] What would make the biggest difference to my processing speed?
On 09/08/11 01:12, Paul Mobbs wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:47:44 am Peter Green wrote:
>> I'm thinking that it's not very energy efficient running all those boxes
>> though, or space saving, but it does re-use older machines that would
>> other wise be thrown away perhaps.
>
> The machine that runs 24/7 running Internet-related stuff is a 1.6GHz laptop --
> mostly pulls between 15W (average -- about the same as an energ efficient bulb)
> and 80W (when encoding video). Using an old laptop as a server is by far the
> most efficient way of running torrents/spiders, and for running services for the
> household network.

It's not a bad way, but it's not the most efficient by a long chalk.

For my always on services I run a SheevaPlug with an external USB HDD.
At idle, the pair consume 3W, with 15W being about the peak.

SheevaPlugs used to have the downside that they destroyed a power supply
about every 9 months by letting the magic smoke escape. Both mine have
now had replacements which are supposedly more robust. So far so good.

John