Re: [OxLUG] Power control Hard drive

Author: Ian Leonard
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Power control Hard drive
On 12 August 2011 16:05, Dr Colin Lloyd <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody used hdparm to spindown/spinup internal SATA hard drives? I
> know
> there are some hdparm parameters that can trash things and I'd like to
> avoid
> that.
> I have been using a 2nd internal SATA hard drive as a backup medium for the
> primary drive. But it has recently failed. I have ordered a new drive but
> wondered whether with the new drive to just access it when I need to
> increment
> the backup - otherwise the drive is spinning for no real purpose, (extra
> wattage, noise, cooling etc.). I know that hard drives don't like too
> frequent
> a spindown/spinup cycle - but this is only going to occur at most once a
> day.

I used to do this on a backup machine (a single disk). IIRC, I used hdparm
with the -S option. The
argument for the idle time until spin down is weird so check the man page. I
also seem
to remember there were some services (smartd?) that used to keep running it
up again. Once
that was disabled it worked well.

These days I power the box down completely and use wakup-on-lan when it's
needed.

--
Ian