[OxLUG] Ext3 file recovery

Author: Andrew Foulsham
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: [OxLUG] Ext3 file recovery
Hi all,

Is there a favourite live CD and/or tools for recovery of deleted /
damaged files on ext3 filesystems?
I've got a "situation" here (LTRU) where school project was being saved
on a netbook running linux and the power ran out. It was - of course -
the only copy, and she had saved each and every version over the
original.
I've instructed here to switch off & leave the machine until I get home
tonight, for fear of adding to the problems.
I'm downloading the fccu-linux and SMART-ubuntu live CDs now, and can dd
the disk image onto an external hard disk.
So, has anyone some suggestions that might save the day for a distressed
small child? It was about 6 or 7 hours worth of project that she lost!

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew