Re: [OxLUG] Name servers

Author: James Davis
To: peter, Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Name servers
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Peter Green <> wrote:

> It seems that on my server I need to set the nameservers as
> ns1/2.myhosting.co.uk but I can't figure out/see why this is needed, but
> then is it?

It's that second part of my explanation - why does a zone need to
contain it's own NS records - by the time you get to query that domain
then by necessity you'll have already got the NS records (from the
hosting company for example). Strictly speaking I think you could get
away without them that but it's not at all good practice, and it'd
break replication between servers (which is perhaps why I can't find
any examples of it in the zones that we host). It's necessary so that
when updated, an authoratative name server knows which other servers
to send DNSNOTIFY messages to, so that they then know to perform a
zone transfer and update their copy of the zone. I think that's the
main reason.

If that's not clear - I can ask one of the DNS guys here for their
explanation :)

James