Re: [OxLUG] CUPS problem

Author: John G Walker
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] CUPS problem

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 17:33:11 +0000 "Simon Iremonger (oxlug)"
<> wrote:

> > One thing I find strange. I can see the CUPS printers as network
> > devices from my Windows machine. Should that happen?
> If Samba server is running on the same server as the CUPS server,
> it may well be set with "printing=cups" and the result is
> that Samba makes all the CUPS printers visible via SMB/CIFS
> which would more easily make windows ''see'' them.
>
> That said, I wonder if some kind of new mDNS-discovery is
> supported in modern Windows clients.....
>
> That said, for a server at a friends' house, I turned off
> Samba-CUPS printing, it just complicates matters (yet
> another interdependency) and all windows XP-or-newer
> can print directly to CUPS/IPP *anyway* so we don't
> need to go via samba at all.

I think this holds if the printer is on the Linux machine. In fact,
the printer is on the Windows machine and I'm trying to print from the
Linux machine.

I've tried to print using smbspool and succeeded, so the problem must
lie in the communication between CUPS and Samba.

> > Good suggestion, but it's not that. The jobs just hang,
>
> I would question:-
>
> * If you look at 'netstat -tn' after printing, do you
> see SYN_SENT entries sitting there?

No. I'm not quite sure how to interpret what I can see, but I don't see
SYN_SENT.

> * What do you see in /var/log/cups/error_log and related?

No suspicious messages as far as I can see.

> --Simon

Thanks for this.

--
All the best,