Re: [OxLUG] Simple question

Author: Richard Henwood
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Simple question
--- On Fri, 13/7/12, Henry Vermaak <> wrote:

> From: Henry Vermaak <>
> Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Simple question
> To: "Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List" <>
> Date: Friday, 13 July, 2012, 16:27
> On 13/07/12 15:52, john marshall
> wrote:
> > I have a small (desktop) PC with a USB WiFi dongle.
> >
> > Ubuntu likes to manage the power consumption of the
> WiFi dongle, and
> > puts it in to energy saving mode (very slow net
> connection)
> >
> > There is plenty of documentation within the Ubuntu
> world as to where I
> > should put the commands to stop power management of the
> device in the
> > case of laptops which seem to choose to do this when
> moved to battery
> > power from mains power.
> >
> > Whereabouts should I rest the commands
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > /sbin/iwconfig/ wlan0 power off
> >
> > so that the device is always removed from any misguided
> power management?
>
> I'm assuming that you use NetworkManager.  You can put
> scripts in
> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/, but make sure you read
> existing
> scripts to see how to catch the parameters.  On my
> debian testing
> there's a NetworkManager script that also executes the
> scripts inside
> /etc/network/if-up.d, so that's another place you can put
> it.

...and for the purposes of completeness: you could include the iwconfig incantation as a udev rule that will be executed if the specific USB device is inserted. Further reading can be found here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Execute_on_USB_insert
...and on your search engine of choice.

Any other ways to skin this particular cat?

r,