Re: [OxLUG] Simple question

Author: ael
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Simple question
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 05:17:08PM +0100, Richard Henwood wrote:
> > From: Henry Vermaak <>
> > Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Simple question
> > To: "Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List" <>
> > Date: Friday, 13 July, 2012, 16:27
> > On 13/07/12 15:52, john marshall
> > wrote:
> > > I have a small (desktop) PC with a USB WiFi dongle.
> > >
> > > Ubuntu likes to manage the power consumption of the
> > WiFi dongle, and
> > > puts it in to energy saving mode (very slow net
> > connection)

Maybe I am misunderstand the question, but here on this debian
netbook I have the "laptop-mode-tools" package installed.

$ dpkg -l |grep laptop
should show if you have the same or something similar.

$ dpkg -L laptop-mode-tools
then shows me that there are configuration files under
/etc/laptop-mode/

including various wireless-*-power.conf
under /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/

I would expect that the power settings should be modified there.
Of course there are man pages and also some additional docs
in the usual place: /usr/share/doc/laptop-mode-tools/.

Surely Ubuntu is identical/similar?

ael