Re: [OxLUG] hp-toolbox/hplip remote

Author: Simon
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] hp-toolbox/hplip remote
On Wednesday 21 November 2012 21:51:15 Peter Grandi wrote:
> > When the printer/scanner is in the desktop USB port then it
> > sets up fine. However what about running with the HP on a
> > small remote box but control it from your desktop?
>
> Ahhhh, here you are talking about it working attached to another
> computer, not directly to Ethernet.
>
> In that case, you have to run 'cupsd' on the computer it is
> attached to, and then it is just an ordinary remote printer.
>
> Similarly for the scanner, there is a scanner-independent remote
> scanning system which is part of SANE, by running 'saned'.

So hp-toolbox won't work over ethernet in this context? How do I check inks
etc?

Setup is:
* small headless linux box with stuff on the back, inc HP via USB
* desktop machine at which one might like to sit
* cat5 everywhere

Run with the HP on back of desktop everything works almost automatically. No
explicit running of saned, "it just works". Gimp etc find the scanner no
hassle.

What should be done on the small headless box to provide this functionality?

--
"The impossible is easy"
Purrsoft