Re: [OxLUG] What has happened to syslogging on Debian testin…

Author: Dominic Hargreaves
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] What has happened to syslogging on Debian testing?
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:06:16AM +0000, ael wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:39:22AM +0000, Jim Hague wrote:
> > On Monday 10 Dec 2012 21:45:37 ael wrote:
> > > I am running debian testing on a number of machines.
> > > [...]
> > > Both klogd and sysklogd seem to have been removed or become virtual in
> > > testing, and it is not at all obvious which packages to use for system
> > > logging.
> >
> > I fell into this too. I've ended up with inetutils-syslogd. The default
> > install of rsyslogd logs to different places than the previous traditional
> > setup, and I couldn't be arsed to spend time either adjusting to the new
> > scheme or changing the setup for rsyslogd.
>
> Oh, good. It's not just me then.
>
> Where is all this discussed or documented? As I normally update my
> testing installations typically daily, I don't have time to read every
> changelog. In this case, I obviously looked through what seemed to
> be the the relevant changelogs on my system: no joy, of course.
>
> I did look in the archives of the debian-user list but found nothing
> there.

rsyslog has been the default since lenny, and was announced in the lenny
release notes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#system-changes

What caused this to crop up recently was the removal of the old
sysklogd package from testing; see

for why.

To answer your question more generally, following

http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing-changes/

might have answered your question, but for the machines where I track
testing or unstable, I try and review new and removed packages before
continuing with an apt-get dist-upgrade, and if there are packages
being removed that I might care about, http://packages.qa.debian.org/
is my first port of call for finding information about the state of a
package.

Cheers,
Dominic.