Re: [OxLUG] Thinkpad suggestions

Author: Jonathan Wright
To: mgpoolman, Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Thinkpad suggestions
On 10 January 2014 11:49, Mark Poolman <> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am thinking about getting a thinkpad with a view to having it
> dual-boot Debian and windows. Does anyone have
> experience/recommendations/caveats about such a proposal ?

​I can't comment on the ThinkPad range specifically, but I can very
strongly recommend the XPS 12/13/14 range from Dell. The XPS13 was the
original model that Project Sputnik was built on, so Dell worked hard to
make sure that everything was fully supported by Linux out of the box. Both
the XPS12 and XPS14 use the same hardware and so are fully supported too.

I have an XPS12 myself and everything works out of the box, including all
the special keys (such as the wireless on/off switch), touchpad (although
you may need an additional configuration to get it to do multi-touch which
Ubuntu doesn't support out of the box). Even my touch-screen is fully
supported (up to the current level Linux/Ubuntu can use it for).

For anyone that wants to use Linux, I don't think you can go far wrong with
these machines. Plus I had an XPS m1330 prior to this. That was well
supported and whenever I needed to use support, Dell XPS Customer Support
were always good, if a little Windows-centric for my liking. I had the full
5 years too and they supported it right to the end.

--

*Jonathan Wright*

e:
w: http://jon.than.io
t: @jon_than_

cat /dev/random
» You never know. You may see something you like.

Sent from my own little space on the web_