Re: [OxLUG] Systemd crash

Author: Simon Iremonger (oxlug)
To: chris@chriswareham.net, Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Systemd crash
> Has anyone experienced systemd crashing and causing their machine to shut down?
> Came into work this morning to find that my machine was powered off. Firing it
> back up and checking the (binary, WTF?) log that's replaced good old
> /var/log/messages and friends, I see that the machine shut down less than
> gracefully around 02:00 this morning with garbled log messages that suggest

I've heard such stories already ..... And avoided it myself
amongst all the controversy =).

Seemingly the underpinning new init system is indeed very useful/
good but there is a mess of 'creeping dependencies' and doing
too much 'taking over' (like the logs) in not always sensible
ways!.

What would be really helpful is to get uselessd into Debian:-
http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/

This seems to take the useful parts from systemd-208 while
avoiding the problematic logging and such fun..... Sensibly =).

Talking with a Debian Developer putting this together / into
debian would make a lot of sense, but the trouble is somebody
to sort it out, and work on the packaging / dependencies =).

w/ thanks,

--Simon