Re: [OxLUG] new printer

Author: Simon Iremonger
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] new printer
> I have a Canon prixma MG6450 printer/scanner.  I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and the computer can see the printer to a certain
> extent.  The latest driver is for MG6200, so I've selected that.  When I print with the print queue visible, I can see the
> Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can get the printer working?
> Dr Ginny Stacey Oxford SpLD Tutors ex-Research Associate, Stein Lab Group

By the looks of things, Canon's consmery-grade-printers probably need
manual install of manufacturer-supplied driver, e.g.:-

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG6450.aspx?type=download&language=&os=Linux

There is:-

MG6400 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 4.00 for Linux (debian
Packagearchive) File version: 4.00
Operating system(s): Linux Release date: 05 September 2013

Experience of such manufacturer-supplied drivers for cheap consumery
printers has been mixed. In particular many of them have installed
much more easily onto i386 (32-bit) installs rather than
amd64 (64-bit) installs ...

In this case canon appear to have included both explicitly:-
/packages/cnijfilter-mg6400series_4.00-1_amd64.deb
/packages/cnijfilter-mg6400series_4.00-1_i386.deb
/packages/cnijfilter-common_4.00-1_amd64.deb
/packages/cnijfilter-common_4.00-1_i386.deb

So maybe thats' all you need... I can't vouch for canon's driver
quality or not doing anything else silly to your system or working
explicitly with particular debian/ubuntu versions ... but I
suspect that is what you need, basically ...

Just install the relevant pair of deb packages, then delete
and re-install the printer, using the newly available driver
entries, I expect ... Though they seemingly include their
own install.sh script, whatever that does ...

If you are unsure if you are running Amd64(x86_64) or i386(i686)
-- look at the result of "uname -m" command should tell you.

Hope that helps // good luck!

--Simon

p.s. canon-europe supply (separately) scan-kit software
bits-and-pieces for the unit, as well...