Re: [OxLUG] Printers for Linux

Author: Gregory Matthews
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Printers for Linux
On 27/01/15 22:17, Tina Friedrich wrote:
> Saying that, I've never actually had a printer that I couldn't get to print
> (and usually with very little effort).

I had a Samsung laser printer/scanner that required some horrible gui
app to run and didn't survive an update of debian. Never worked again.
Ended up tossing it. But on the whole I agree. That said, all my
printers have been hand-me-downs of one sort or another so rarely brand new.

> Not only HP are Linux friendly; I ended up buying a little Konica-Minolta
> colour laser a couple of years ago (IPP & Postscript capable) and then found
> to my surprise that you can simply download 'Linux drivers' for all there
> printers (which also all seemed to be standard protocol devices) - and the
> driver package turned out to simply be a (CUPS compatible) PPD file (well,
> actually a zip file with PPD files for multiple languages). Probably the easiest
> setup I ever had :)

and I've had good luck with Canon's recently (even their strange
usb-over-ethernet protocol). I suspect this is because of the growing
ubiquity of Apple computers - don't they "own" cups these days?

GREG

--
Greg Matthews        01235 778658
Scientific Computing Group Leader