[OxLUG] networking Linux and windows

Author: Ginny Ross
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: [OxLUG] networking Linux and windows
Hi,

Has anyone succeeded in networking a Linux machine and a windows one?

I've got Ubuntu 14.04 on this machine and Windows 7 on a laptop. Both
connected hard wired to a router.

I've followed How to share files between Windows and Linux from How to Geek.

ginnyross@Keswick:~$ sudo mount.cifs //laptop-name/Users/"Ginny
Stacey"/Desktop/Share /home/ginnyross/Desktop/Windows-Share/ -o
user=ginnyross
[sudo] password for ginnyross:
Password for ginnyross@//laptop-name/Users/Ginny Stacey/Desktop/Share:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
ginnyross@Keswick:~$

I got the correct laptop name from the laptop details.

man mount.cifs doesn't help me. I'm not finding an error(13)
using -v before -o on mount.cifs gives values for ip, unc, user,
pass=********, prefixpath

I put in a folder name, Share2, that doesn't exist. Worryingly, I
didn't get a message saying it doesn't exist.

I'm wondering whether the permissions are right on the Windows-Share
directory in Linux:
ginnyross@Keswick:~/Desktop$ ls -l
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 ginnyross ginnyross 4096 Jul 26 18:55 Windows-Share

I've made the sharing options as wide as suggested on the Geek web page
for all the folders on the Windows laptop.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks
Ginny