[OxLUG] devuan suitable for deployment?

Author: Mark Poolman
To: oxlug
Subject: [OxLUG] devuan suitable for deployment?
Dear All,

I am about to upgrade a small network from debian Wheezy to Jessie,
something I've been putting off for much too long, but now circumstances
have forced the issue. Part of my reluctance is that Jessie is systemd
based, and apart from the controversy surrounding this, don't really
want to put time and effort into learning something I don't really need,
sysv is just fine in my environment.

However, I discover that devuan now has Jessie released in beta, so the
question is whether or not to use that instead. The network in question
is used by a small research group, and long term stability is paramount.
Should I bite the bullet and learn systemd, or stick with the comfort
blanket of sysv and trust that devuan has enough of a critical mass o be
a viable long term option?

All reasoned opinions more than gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

-R /best/*

Mark