Re: [OxLUG] Python environment

Author: Gautham Ganapathy
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Python environment
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Paul Moore <>
wrote:

> What is your favourite environment in Linux for Python development? I'm
> currently using editor+command line. I have tried a few IDE's but not
> settled on anything yet. It's possible to set Python as an external tool
> in gedit so you can run the current selection or file which is nice, but
> limited.

Generally, emacs and python-mode.el, although I also sometimes use Spyder
on Windows (comes included with Anaconda and is nicely integrated with it).
I have used also Eclipse + PyDev in the past, which is quite a good Python
IDE except that it sometimes feels like you are in a Ferrari with an
18-wheeler pushing you along!

> And, at the risk of starting a regional conflict, what about editors for
> text files? I like gedit, but it is quite bare-bones, with functions such
> as Macros supported in plugins. What might be the next step up?

I still use emacs on my home desktop, with vi for the occasional config
file. On my work laptop, I tend to use Emacs for most things and Notepad++
for viewing code quickly, notes or config files. One thing I liked about
Notepad++ is that I can also quickly dump short notes without explicily
saving them into files, which it keeps across sessions.

Cheers
Gautham