Re: [OxLUG] Redirecting output in a c shell

Author: Hubert Matthews
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Redirecting output in a c shell
On 16/10/17 13:15, wrote:
> Can anyone help with the following, please ?
>
> How do I save output (several screens' worth) into a file ?
>
> I am using the c shell.
>
> I tried:
>
> pulseaudio -vv > pulseaudio-output
>
> but that didn't work (just an empty file created). I also tried to
> just view it one screen at a time (which I'd then cut and paste into
> an email) using:
>
> pulseaudio -vv | more
>

> but that didn't work either and in both cases the output just kept
> streaming to the end.

Perhaps the output is being written to stderr and not stdout.  If that's
the case then in bash you would write:

  pulseaudio -vv 2>&1 > pulseaudio-output

The 2>&1 tells the shell to redirect file descriptor 2 (stderr) to the
same place as file descriptor 1 (stdout).

Apparently the C-shell equivalent is something like this:

  pulseaudio -vv >& pulseaudio-output

--
Hubert Matthews
Software Consultant        http://www.oxyware.com/