Re: [OxLUG] No sound when using Iceweasel

Author: oxlug
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] No sound when using Iceweasel
Hi.

Some commands and responses :-

% cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}

% aplay --list-devices
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

% cat   /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7210000 irq 45
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17

Am I right in thinking that the contents of /etc/asound.conf
indicate that pulseaudio is not being used, but ALSA alone
is used for the sound ?

Audio output is to a pair of speakers connected to the PC
via the normal headphone output from the PC.

Hence as I understand it, sound should be produced by card 0.

In addition, the YouTube sound has now suddenly re-appeared
without any obvious reason. This indicates a pattern of sound
suddenly disappearing without obvious reason and then suddenly
re-appearing days or perhaps weeks later. Could this problem
be due to certain programs suddenly stopping or restarting the sound ?

Regards,

Mike Bailey

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

27. Oct 2017 15:25 by :