Re: [OxLUG] No sound when using Iceweasel

Author: Peter Grandi
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] No sound when using Iceweasel
[ ... ]
>> That might be instead (and just in '/etc/asound.conf'):

>> pcm.pulse       { type pulse; }
>> ctl.pulse       { type pulse; }

>> pcm.!default    { type pulse; fallback "sysdefault"; }
>> ctl.!default    { type pulse; fallback "sysdefault"; }

[ ... ]

> % cat /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.!default {
>         type hw
>         card 0
> }

> ctl.!default {
>         type hw
>         card 1
> }

[ ... ]

> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That is certainly not the default configuration, and also it
overrides it, which is unfortunate as that chipset, like most,
does not have hardware mixing and that '/etc/asound.conf'
disables software mixing.

> Am I right in thinking that the contents of /etc/asound.conf
> indicate that pulseaudio is not being used, but ALSA alone is
> used for the sound ?

Yes.

> In addition, the YouTube sound has now suddenly re-appeared
> without any obvious reason. This indicates a pattern of sound
> suddenly disappearing without obvious reason and then suddenly
> re-appearing days or perhaps weeks later. Could this problem
> be due to certain programs suddenly stopping or restarting the
> sound ?

No. Almost surely given the lack of hardware mixing and software
mixing having been disabled it means that some other program was
using the soundcard.

Any good reason why the suggested 'asound.conf' was not tested?

Maybe there have been good reasons why the additional steps in
the suggested troublesheeting guide related to software sharing
were not followed...
http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html#share

But fortunately nowadays the 'sysdefault' virtual device
(listable with 'aplay -L') usually has sharing enabled by
default.