[OxLUG] Installing Chrome

Author: oxlug
To: Oxlug
Subject: [OxLUG] Installing Chrome
I am having problems with Chromium (version 57.0.2987.98  amd64) on
a Jessie desktop system.

Drop down menus on certain websites are not working at all (the menus don't drop down). I understand that Chromium on Jessie is no longer supported.

Rather than going through the whole process of updating from Jessie to Stretch in order to get the latest stable Chromium version (62.0.3202.89),
I was thinking of the possibility of installing the latest version of Chrome on Jessie. I have seen several websites that refer to this process :-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/885973/install-google-chrome-stable-with-apt-on-16-04

https://www.tecmint.com/install-google-chrome-in-debian-ubuntu-linux-mint

My intention would be as follows :-

(1) Click on the following link and download the Google Chrome Browser from Google's website, as appropriate to a Debian 64 bit system :-

https://www.google.co.in/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

I note that Google's repository will be also be added to my system so that
Chrome can automatically be kept up to date.
(2) Install Chrome as follows :-

sudo apt install ./google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
(3) Run Chrome :-

$ google-chrome-stable

Would this work okay, with no problems at all ?

Would I need to run

sudo apt update

before running the above sudo apt install command ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com