[OxLUG Announce] Last Sunday's meeting: Summary

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:27:37 +0000

For the benefit of the few of you:-) who were unable to make it on
Sunday, here's a brief summary to bring you up-to-date:

There were fifty people there.  Students were in the minority:-)
About ten people there weren't on the mailing list - some have joined
since.  The list currently stands at just over 60.

We agreed to hold regular "First Sunday Of The Month" meetings in
Central Oxford starting at 6.30pm to provide the group with a focal
point.  Any list member may arrange additional events at other times
using the mailing list - please do!

Philip Armstrong volunteered to lead the effort to put together a web
site - temporarily at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~pemb0839/oxlug/
(Do take a look, if you haven't already!)
We would investigate the alternatives for hosting the web site -
www.ox.lug.org.uk being the main contender - and report back to the
list for a decision.

oxlug-announce list to be set up, and only split oxlug into lists for
different topics if the need arises in the future.

Post-meeting notes:
Suggestion for Sunday 7th March:  KDE vs Gnome (vs ?)
Maybe about half-an-hour on KDE, half-an-hour on Gnome, plus discussion?
Any volunteers to help or lead this?

Any offers for April?  Since it's Easter Day, I suggest we move it to,
say, Sunday 11th April - or should we hold it on a weekday evening
instead?

An offer for Sunday 2nd May:  Benchmarking Linux performance,
including comparisons with NT

Web site etc. - I mailed one ISP last night asking about the options
(too early yet for a reply!) and I hope to mail another one tonight or
tomorrow.

Alasdair.