[OxLUG Announce] Sunday 9th Jan - Linux Distributions

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:25:21 +0000 (GMT)

The OxLUG meeting on Sunday 9th Janary will be held in the Oxford
University Computing Laboratory at 6.30pm.  The entrance is from Parks
Road. (http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oxinfo/maps/index.html for maps).

As an experiment, the format will be somewhat different from usual and
more interactive.

We'll begin with a discussion of a few of the many Linux Distributions
available - their strengths and weaknesses etc. - and maybe look at some
web sites which form useful Linux resources.

Then there'll be an opportunity for people to share any interesting
Linux-related news they have heard recently, and for people to ask
for help or advice from the more-experienced people present.

Finally - for those who wish to stay - we'll have a discussion about what
direction OxLUG should take this year.
Some points to consider:
  Events - frequency; programme for 2000 - balance: basic vs technical;
tutorials (eg configuration, perl, shells, editors, GUI programming);
InstallFest; external speakers (who? what topics?); organisational
responsibility; finance; venues
  Image/Recruitment - mission statement; logo; publicity (local press;
Linux Answers magazine); web site extension; corporate involvement
  Mailing Lists - any suggestions for change, or carry on as now with
oxlug/oxlug-announce?

Afterwards, all being well, we'll reconvene in the Lamb and Flag.

Alasdair.
--
events@oxlug.org