[OxLUG Announce] This week's events

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:26:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Tuesday evening from 8-9pm it's the first part of our weekly
'Get to Know Linux!' series, with an Introduction to Linux - exploring its
history; assessing its capabilities, its strengths and weaknesses; seeing
it in action and discussing why you might want to use it and what sorts of
computers you can use.

On Thursday 17th Feb at 7.30pm the BCS have invited Mr John Stevens from
Racal Securities and Payments to speak about Public Key Infrastructure:

  With E-commerce via the Internet being one of the fastest growing
  technologies, does anyone trust technology enough to deal with financial
  and personal transactions?

  Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) defines one mechanism to allow totally
  secure communications over the Internet. The presentation will explain
  the key components, their functions and how they inter-react to form a
  working PKI system. It will then look at some real applications for PKI.

All events in Comlab (Parks Road/Keble Road) as usual, see:
  http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html
  http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=451200&Y=206800

And finally, if you haven't yet filled in the survey, there's still just
time before we start to analyse the responses on Tuesday:
  http://www.oxlug.org/survey/

Alasdair.