[OxLUG Announce] BCS Meeting (Thursday)

Alasdair Kergon oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:22:14 +0000

OxLUG members are welcome to attend, though I presume we may not vote!

Alasdair.

 From: BCS Oxon <nls@bcs.org.uk>
 Subject: BCS Branch Meeting - BCS Intranet Winner - Its This Thursday!

 BCS Branch Meeting and AGM

 I am just dropping a short note to invite you to this Thursday's (20th April
 2000)  BCS presentation and AGM at 7:30pm.

 We are pleased to have Mr David Nurse MBCS, Head of Research of CSW
 Informatics Ltd to present and describe a Web based Clinical Intranet based at
 the Oxford Radcliffe Infirmary.

 The Oxford Radcliffe Hospital is a large teaching hospital which has used
 Internet technology to solve some of the information needs of clinicians.  An
 Intranet, which took first place in the 1998 Information Management Awards
 sponsored by Computer Weekly and Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group, was
 developed using a thin-client architecture with cross-platform ability.  This
 gives clinicians access to patient information, assembled as a single view,
 from information held on multiple remote and disparate computer systems.

 Access to existing support and advisory information from within the
 organisation and collected from other sites and projects is also provided as
 is automated retrieval and presentation of information which is contextually
 appropriate to the component of the record being viewed by the clinician.

 The system will be described and, in the light of experience, its wider
 potential in the NHS will be discussed.

 CSW Informatics Ltd are consultants in information management using SGML/XML,
 Internet/Intranet, Workflow, using relational and object databases.

 Next Thursday is also very important as it is the Branch AGM.  It is a
 fantastic opportunity to learn more about how the Branch works, and more
 importantly for you to play a part in its ongoing success.  It is also a
 chance for you to vote for your committee for the next 12 months.

 We will be holding the meeting at the Wolfson Building, South Parks Road,
 Oxford.  Please use the link below to see a local map.

 Please use the following links to find the location

 General Oxford Directions
 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=451200&Y=206800

 http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/sheet/pdf/central_ox_map.pdf which is a detailed
 PDF roadmap and shows the Computing Labs (OUCL)

 http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/about/directions.html which is Computing
 Labs own directions and map

 Best Regards

 Neill Lawson-Smith