[OxLUG Announce] Forthcoming Events: The Wired Society: Thurs 25 Jan: 7.30pm: ComLab

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:07:08 +0000

As usual, we're all welcome to attend this November BCS meeting tomorrow.
(Details forwarded below.)

Forthcoming events:
  Tuesday 30th Jan *6pm* Comlab:
    Richard Moore, IBM Linux Technology Centre,
      Technical talk about Dynamic Probes (tool to aid kernel-level
      development/debugging)
    We'll be joined by other members of the Linux Special Interest Group
    at IBM Hursley.

  Sunday 4th Feb 6.30pm ComLab:
    Pjotr Prins - ROCK Linux (a Linux distribution for sysadmins)
                & CFengine (GNU configuration tool for system administration)

  Sunday 4th March 6.30pm
    (Provisional)  Report from LinuxExpo Paris

Alasdair

----- Forwarded message from BCS Oxon Events! <events@bcsoxon.org> -----

I am dropping you a short reminder that the November BCS Oxfordshire Branch
meeting is on this coming Thursday (25 January 2001) at 7:30pm.

We are very pleased to have Mr Dharmesh Mistry who is the Chief Technology
Office of Entranet (a local leading Internet and Ecommerce Development
Company) to speak about the technology, concepts and challenges behind
delivering a E-commerce solution using Multi-Access Devices i.e. WAP,
Internet, DIgital TV, Online Phone Kiosks etc.

According to Dharmesh Mistry, in the next 20 years we will see our lives
changed radically.  The cause - Multi-Access devices.  We are already
conditioned to the benfits of the Internet via a PC, but soon there will be
new innovations and services being delivered via channels that we did not
think possible a few years ago!

As well as contributing to the Annual FAST (Federation Against Software
Theft) Conference where he spoke on the subject of e-commerce, Dharmesh has
experience in front of the camera and has been interviewed for TV and radio
including:
   Tomorrow's World - Electronic Voting - Would You Vote Online?
   Working Lunch - Shopping Safely on the Internet
   BBC World Service  Java Based Banking
   Sky/The Learning Curve - Tips for saving money on the Internet
   Business Breakfast - The Problems Faced by Egg Online
   LBC Radio - The Future of Internet Banking

We will be handing out CPD certificates at the end of the presentation.  If
you haven't already done so, it would be a great time to start your CPD
records.

Please look at the web site http://www.bcsoxon.org/calendar/jan2001.html for
a brief description about this presentation.

We will be holding the meeting at the Wolfson Building, South Parks Road,
Oxford.  Please use the link below to see a local map.

http://www.bcsoxon.org/location.html

or if you require more information please email  mailto:nls@bcs.org.uk

We look forward to seeing you there,

Neill Lawson-Smith