[OxLUG Announce] Installfest, 29th April, Oxford

Dominic Hargreaves oxlug@lists.compsoc.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:21:35 +0100

OxLUG is getting involved with a nationwide Installfest, which is an event
designed to introduce Linux to a larger number of people than would
normally have access to it.

The official website for the day is http://www.linuxday.org.uk/. We hope
to attract a significant number of people to come along to the all day
event, the details of which follow:

* If you can help out with the event, see the bottom of this mail.

Venue: 22nd Oxford Scout HQ

Location:
Meadow Lane
Donnington
Oxford
OX4 4BJ

A map can be found at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=OX44BJ&Z=1. There should be
ample car parking.

The event with be running from 10am until approximately 6pm and will
hopefully feature regular talks and demonstrations as well as the core
activity of helping people install and configure linux (whether as a new
install or to help with existing installations).

We will have a range of distributions available on CDROM and networked
machines, and will discuss your requirements in order to choose the most
appropriate distribution. The event is being sponsored by MandrakeSoft,
and there will be free CDs available to take away.

If you would like to come along to get help with your system, whether the
computer is new or old, and whether or not you have Linux already
installed on it the best way is to register using the form at
http://www.linuxday.org.uk/requestinstall.htm. This way we have a better
chance of anticipating popularity. If you have any particular queries
about the event or what you'd like to get out of it, please email
oxlug-events@lists.compsoc.net.

If you don't manage to register, then do come along on the day anyway.
Also, you are welcome to come along to the event, as a business or home
user, without a system to install to find out why Linux might benefit you.

***

We still need people to volunteer to help out, in one of several ways:

- Marketing - getting in touch with the local press etc, and formulating
  marketing materia (ie improve on this mail :)
- Organisation - coming along on the day to help set up/clear up.
- Demonstrations/installing/talks - most important bit of the event, to
  help people install linux! Also we need people to give demonstrations of
  unusual or exciting uses for Linux - if you're running it on any unusual
  hardware or doing anything unusual let us know. Demonstrations would be
  a bonus! Also, to give informal talks about basic aspects of running linux.

Questions/offers of help should be addressed to
oxlug-events@lists.compsoc.net.

There will be a short planning meeting after the event this Sunday (which
is David Faure from MandrakeSoft on KDE, BTW - separate announcement will
follow shortly).

--
Dominic Hargreaves | http://dom.magd.ox.ac.uk/
You can get my PGP key from my web site.