[OxLUG Announce] OxLUG events on Sundays in May & June - LVM; InstallFest series

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.oxlug.org
Fri May 10 22:30:01 2002

Sunday 12th May - Linux Logical Volume Management (LVM)
   The regular monthly meeting.
   6.30pm, Comlab.  Maps at http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html
   Followed by drinks at the Lamb and Flag.
   More details below.

Sundays 19th May - 9th June.
   A special introductory series.
   All are welcome!  Please help to publicise these meetings!
   More details below.

   Sunday 19th May - What is this thing called Linux?
      6.30pm, Comlab.  Maps at http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html

   Sunday 26th May - InstallFest (full day)
      10am - 6pm, 22nd Oxford Sea Scout Hut.
      http://www.oxlug.org/linuxday/

   Sunday 2nd June - Where do I go from here? (Part 1)
      6.30pm, Comlab.  Maps at http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html

   Sunday 9th June - Where do I go from here? (Part 2)
      6.30pm, Comlab.  Maps at http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html

Other news:
  Linux Expo Birmingham is cancelled.  http://www.linuxexpobirmingham.com/

  Linux 2002 Bristol - Early booking deadline 31st May.
    http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2002/
    Until 31st May the cost is GBP 47 (students: GBP 20) plus UKUUG membership
    fee for non-members; Oxford University staff & students are already covered.
    The latest additions to the programme include Sony's PlayStation 2 Linux
    and Kylix.

  Other InstallFests (various dates):
    http://www.linuxinstallday.org/

  Festival of Extreme Computing, June 9, London http://www.xcom2002.com/
  LinuxTag (Germany) June 6-9  http://www.linuxtag.org/
  SANE (Holland) May 27-31 http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2002/
  Australian Linux Technical Conf, 22-25 Jan 2003 http://conf.linux.org.au/
  Ottawa Linux Symposium (Canada) June 26-29
    Almost fully booked!  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2002/

Alasdair.
--
agk@oxlug.org

Sunday 12th May - Linux Logical Volume Management (LVM)

   LVM is the established standard for on-line disk storage management
   under Linux. It is included in the 2.4 kernel series.

   The aims of my talk are:
     To introduce existing LVM concepts and tools under Linux;
     To discuss the architecture used for the new LVM2/device mapper
     and the extra features and performance improvements provided.

   The current LVM system reached maturity with the 1.0.x series,
   adding a variety of improvements and new features over the 0.8
   series (such as snapshots, the ability to move live volumes).

   LVM2 is a new downwardly-compatible implementation of LVM using a
   lightweight kernel driver known as the "device mapper". This
   provides generic support for volume management.  All volume
   managers - not just LVM - will benefit from this work.

   The new LVM2 framework allows yet more features to be implemented,
   including:
     Writeable high-performance snapshots
     Sophisticated remapping tools
     Greatly enhanced configurability
     Human-readable (and editable) configuration backups
     Atomic metadata updates
     Improved data recovery in the event of disk failure
     Cluster-awareness

   Alasdair Kergon, Sistina Software UK

Sunday 19th May - What is this thing called Linux?

   This will start off with an introduction to what Linux is, its
   strengths and weaknesses and what OxLUG is and what it does.
   It'll then move on to a description of what will happen at the
   InstallFest, and we'll run through a sample installation of
   Mandrake, the distribution we'll be recommending at the
   InstallFest.

   This event is for everyone in OxLUG, whether old hand or newcomer,
   as well as anyone else in Oxfordshire (or beyond!) who wants to
   find out more.  We'll be handing out penguin badges to the usual
   regulars so that new people can identify them.

Sundays 2nd and 9th June - Where do I go from here?

   Getting started with a newly installed Linux system - things like
   installing new software, changing configuration settings, and a basic
   introduction to what's "under the hood".  More details nearer the
   time.