[OxLUG Announce] Tuesday 28th May - GNOME - Michael Meeks, Ximian Inc.

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.oxlug.org
Mon May 27 22:10:01 2002

Michael Meeks, one of the lead GNOME developers, who works near
Cam|(!#*@, has kindly agreed to give a joint OxLUG/CompSoc talk
tomorrow evening at 8.30pm in Comlab.

I appreciate it is a late mid-week starting time for many of you, but
Michael is a superb speaker and linux enthusiast, and we are
privileged that he is visiting us; so please do make that extra effort
to come along if you possibly can!  I would like him to take away good
impressions of the thriving Linux community that we have in Oxford:-)

  This talk will present the latest and greatest, smaller,
  faster and more beautiful Gnome 2.0 desktop environment; and
  explain why this is going to be the platform of choice for
  Unix Vendors and ISVs for the next 5 years. You will catch
  a glimpse of the power of the new environment, and the
  (fading) glory of the exciting things still happening on
  top of the Gnome 1.4 platform. You should come away
  inspired with the vision of an accessible Free
  software desktop.

  Michael is a Christian and enthusiastic believer in Free software.
  He very much enjoys working for Ximian Inc. where as a member of the
  Research Labs he gets paid to develop Gnome 2.0 infastructure,
  particularly ORBit2 and Bonobo, and play with interesting things.
  Prior to this he worked for Quantel gaining expertise in real time
  AV editing and playback achieved with high performance focused
  hardware / software solutions.