[OxLUG Announce] Introductory series: Remote access with VNC and X + general help forum - Sunday 18th August, 6:30pm, Comlab

Ganesh Sittampalam oxlug@lists.oxlug.org
Thu Aug 15 02:27:01 2002

As we've discussed a few times before, we're starting off a series of
talks to follow on from the Installfest. Many details of the organisation
remain to be ironed out, so get involved in the discussion on the main
list if you are interested, but for now we'll start off with the
following:

Sunday 18th August, 2002 - 6:30pm, Comlab

I'll give (probably fairly short) talk on remote access to and from Linux
(and indeed UNIX in general) with VNC and X. I'll go through how to get
the necessary software, what each can do, and how to use both with Linux
as either a server or a client (or indeed both), as well as how to use
Windows as a client.

After that we'll have a general question and answer session where
hopefully you'll be able to get advice on any problems you're having with
Linux.

The meeting will (as always), be followed by drinks at the Lamb and Flag.
The Comlab entrance is from Parks Road and there are maps at
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/ox/maps.html

----

In addition, just a reminder about the GLLUG Bletchley Park Trip also this
Sunday - Bletchley Park is only an hour or so's drive from Oxford so you
can come to our talk afterwards :-)

Email richard@vmlinuz.org if you're interested, or update
http://wiki.vmlinuz.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/BletchleyParkInterestList
directly if you're happy to use a wiki.  (Can use comments field to
offer/request transport.)

----

Advance notice - September's beginning-of-the-month talk (on Sunday
September 1st) will be:

Valgrind - An Open-Source Memory Debugger for x86-linux - Julian Seward

Valgrind is a GPL'd tool to help you find memory-management problems in
your programs.

  You can use it to debug more-or-less any dynamically-linked ELF Linux
  x86 executable, without modification, recompilation, or anything. It
  works by translating x86 code to instrumented x86 code, on the fly i.e.
  a virtual machine.

  Valgrind can detect problems such as:

      * Use of uninitialised memory;
      * Reading/writing memory after it has been free'd;
      * Reading/writing off the end of malloc'd blocks;
      * Reading/writing inappropriate areas on the stack;
      * Memory leaks - where pointers to malloc'd blocks are lost forever;
      * Passing of uninitialised and/or unaddressible memory to system calls;
      * Mismatched use of malloc/new/new [] vs free/delete/delete [].

Julian Seward

  Compiler hacker and open-source contributor. Worked recently on the
  Glasgow Haskell compiler, GHC, which is under a BSD-style license.

  Also the author of bzip2 (data compressor), cacheprof (a tool
  for locating the sources of D-cache misses).