[OxLUG Announce] Software configuration management - Sun 3rd Nov, 6.30pm Comlab

Alasdair G Kergon oxlug@lists.oxlug.org
Fri Nov 1 23:35:00 2002

Sunday's talk will be given by Tony Smith from Perforce who will
discuss software configuration management and give a hands-on
technical demonstration of their popular software.

Date: Sunday 3rd November 2002
Time: 6.30pm
Venue: Comlab
The meeting will (as always) be followed by drinks at the Lamb and Flag.

Comlab entrance is from Parks Road and there are directions at
  http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/about/directions.html

Links:
  Perforce website:  http://www.perforce.com/
  Free licences for open source projects:
    http://www.perforce.com/perforce/opensource-faq.html

InstallFest in Central London:
  Greater London Linux User Group InstallFest, Saturday 1st Nov 12-5pm
    http://gllug.linux.co.uk/20021102.html

And some other top-notch talks happening over the next month or so within
reach of Oxford:

  Professor Harold Thimbleby (Director UCLIC, University College London)
  Revolting calculators
    Oxford University Invariant Society, Tues 5th Nov 8.15pm
    Mathematical Institute, 24-29 St. Giles', Oxford
    (small charge for non-members)

    > Calculators have been around for centuries, and they were one of the
    > first handheld computerised gadgets. They are now to be found inside
    > mobile phones, on desktop computers, even in wristwatches.
    > This talk will demonstrate, with your participation, that current
    > calculators have severe mathematical problems. The talk reviews the
    > straight-forward maths behind calculation and calculators, and thence
    > provides a solution to the surprising range of problems identified. A
    > program will be demonstrated and compared with commercial systems (which
    > are all worse).
    > Please come to this talk with your own handheld calculator, mobile, PDA,
    > or laptop...
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~invar/termcard.html

  Dave Green (http://www.ntk.net/ http://www.davegreen.co.uk/)
    Known Vulnerabilities in the Technology Media
    Oxford University Computer Society, Tues 12th Nov 8.30pm
    http://www.ox.compsoc.net/events/termcards/current/
    (small charge for non-members)

  Extreme Programming, Nick Fortescue
    Oxford University Computer Society, Weds 13th Nov 8.30pm
    http://www.ox.compsoc.net/events/termcards/current/
    (small charge for non-members)

  Computer Security?
  Professor Roger Needham CBE FREng FRS
    (Managing Director, Microsoft Research Ltd)
    Thurs 14th Nov 7pm, Royal Society
    http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/events/
    > The technical aspects of computer security have fascinated researchers
    > (including the lecturer) for decades. It is however beginning to appear
    > that the challenging problems are to do with people, rather than with
    > mathematics or electronics.

  Linux on IBM zSeries mainframes, Malcolm Beattie
    Oxford University Computer Society, Tues 19th Nov 8.30pm
    http://www.ox.compsoc.net/events/termcards/current/
    (small charge for non-members)

  Professor Ian Stewart (University of Warwick)
    Sierpinski and his Gasket
    http://members.aol.com/istewjoat/homepage.html
    Oxford University Invariant Society, Tues 26th Nov 8.15pm
    Mathematical Institute, 24-29 St. Giles', Oxford
    (small charge for non-members)

    > One of the most famous fractals is the Sierpinski gasket (or triangle),
    > made by repeatedly removing the central part of an equilateral triangle.
    > This strange object turns up in several different areas of mathematics,
    > from the geometry of curves to the Tower of Hanoi puzzle, and from the
    > markings on seashells to Pascal's triangle. The lecture will introduce
    > the Gasket, explain some of its many appearances, and may even prove the
    > odd theorem.

  Integer Factorization & Distributed Computation, Paul Leyland
    http://research.microsoft.com/~pleyland/
    Oxford University Computer Society, Weds 27th Nov 8.30pm
    http://www.ox.compsoc.net/events/termcards/current/
    (small charge for non-members)

  Richard Stallman at the LSE, Mon 2nd/Tues 3rd Dec.  (Free; must register)
    > Seminar Announcement
    >
    > As part of the new ESRC Transdisciplinary Research Seminar Series 'ICTs in
    > the Contemporary World: Work, Management and Culture' The Department of
    > Information Systems will host 2 seminars given by Richard Stallman founder
    > of the gnu project
    >
    > 2nd & 3rd December 2002
    >
    > Monday 2nd December, 16:30 to 18:30
    > Hong Kong Theatre (D1)
    >
    > COPYRIGHT VS COMMUNITY Copyright developed in the age of the printing
    > press, and was designed to fit with the system of centralized copying
    > imposed by the printing press. But the copyright system does not fit well
    > with computer networks, and only draconian punishments can enforce it.
    >
    > The global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for
    > draconian punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while
    > suppressing public access to technology. But if we seriously hope to serve
    > the only legitimate purpose of copyright - to promote progress for the
    > benefit of the public - then we must make changes in the other direction.
    >
    > Tuesday 3rd December 2002, 18:30 to 20:30
    > Hong Kong Theatre (D1)
    >
    > AGAINST SOFTWARE PATENTS Richard Stallman will explain how software
    > patents obstruct software development. Software patents are patents that
    > cover software ideas. They restrict the development of software, so that
    > every design decision brings a risk of being sued. Patents in other fields
    > restrict factories, but software patents restrict every computer used.
    > Economic research shows that they even retard progress.
    >
    > Attendance is free.
    > To register for one or both of the seminars please contact:
    > Ms Emma Peel, Research Co-ordinator
    > Department of Information Systems
    > London School of Economics
    > Houghton Street
    > London WC2A 2AE
    >
    > Tel: +44 (0) 207 955 6398 / Fax: +44 (0) 207 955 7385
    > Email: e.s.peel@lse.ac.uk

Lots of cutting-and-pasting here, but please email me if you find this sort
of list useful and would like me to compile it more often.

Alasdair
--
agk@oxlug.org