Re: [OxLUG] Transferring VHS cassettes to digital format - w…

Author: Daniel Barlow
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Transferring VHS cassettes to digital format - wanted to borrowgear to do so
Graham <> writes:

>> Ideally I'd like to end up with a media server given the cost of storage
>> is getting so low.
>
> You will probably need a phono amp for a turntable. Maplin appear to have one
> for £20. (Hmm! I must get one too.)

I missed the grandparent article (my oxlug folder is prone to random and
arbitrary deletion whenever I run short of time and get trigger-happy
on the # key) but I assume it made reference to transferring vinyl
records to digital media.

If so, the answer is almost certainly "yes", and it's not just about
levels - you need to get the eq right too. Records are made with
significant cuts to bass frequencies to stop the groove wandering all
over the place and causing tracking problems, and the "phono" input on
your old amplifier has to boost those same frequencies to make it all
come out equal again. Google "RIAA Phono" for more explanation than
you ever wanted or needed - look ma, the RIAA were doing /useful/
stuff before they started suing filesharers ...

-dan