Re: [OxLUG] eeepc

Author: greg crichton
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] eeepc
2008/10/22 James Davis <>

> Kevin Carmody wrote:
> > Many of my issues with the default Xandros may be considered as petty
> > annoyances (for example when plugging in a USB stick this evening it
> > came up as D: ), but others are plain frustrating (eduroam login,
>
> You're the second person this week to mention eduroam and the eepc. Is
> it something that's genuinely tricky to setup? I don't know much about
> eduroam but I presume that you need an install of Open1X/Xsupplicant?
>
> If you'd like I can pass this back to the eduroam guys here at JANET and
> see if there's any advice or help they can give.
>
> James

Hi,
We have had no luck, that I have heard about yet, getting the default
Xandros to play with tier 2 Eduroam (WPA2 Enterprise/AES, or a fallback WPA
Enterprise/TKIP, EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2) here at Brookes.
We have tried madwifi, newer Ath5k, custom supplicant scripts, waving
chickens and all manner of coaxing but to no avail.
For me, and three other collegues, the answer has been to boot into
something with NetworkManager 0.7+ off a SDHC when on-campus (though this is
presenting new challenges as we have recently moved to a chained root cert).

I would very much like to hear from anyone who has got Xandros to use
802.11x :)
Alas the current development version of Open1X XSupplicant is Windows only.

Cheers,
greg

--
E = sqrt(p^2*c^2+m^2*c^4)