Re: [OxLUG] LVM2 - what do these messages mean?

Author: Ian Pickworth
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] LVM2 - what do these messages mean?
Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 09:20:10PM +0100, Ian Pickworth wrote:
>> For some time its been displaying a string of messages during the
>> delete/create process:
>> ian2 cron.daily # lvremove -f /dev/vg00/vbox-snap
>> Unable to start dmeventd.
>> 2.6.27-gentoo-r1
>> LVM version is 2.02.36
>
> You've configured LVM2 to use dmeventd to log warning message as
> the snapshot fills up.

Not knowingly, so dug a bit - found this in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf:

# Event daemon
# Gentoo: uncommented, since we provide the dmeventd init script

Have you checked you actually installed
> dmeventd?

It's there:

ian2 lvm # which dmeventd
/sbin/dmeventd

however, not running. I did
    /etc/init.d/dmeventd start

and then ran the delete/create snapshot script, and after a torrent of
lvm messages in syslog it said that the snapshots were being monitored,
and the messages no longer appear.

Many thanks for the pointer. I think that something changed in a recent
upgrade I did, and I missed the implications. Serves me right for being
a "ricer" I guess :-).

Thanks
Regards
Ian