Re: [OxLUG] Is this for real: oxlug mail settings changed

Author: Ian Pickworth
To: Oxfordshire Linux User Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Is this for real: oxlug mail settings changed
Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:48:49PM +0100, M.Blackmore wrote:
>> Just because I'm paranoid eh ... this is for real and not a phish is it?
>>
>> Dear user of the oxlug.org mailing service!
>
> [snip]
>
>> Best regards, oxlug.org Technical Support.
>
> I can confirm that that we did not send this. As others have pointed
> out this is a phishing attempt of some sort.
>
> Dominic.

I have evidence that this is bogus - I got exactly the same emails
proporting to come from the admin at pickworth.me.uk - which is me!

Its a pretty pathetic phishing attempt, since the URL points to the DNS
name of the mail server it claims to be coming from - not sure what
anyone would get from that.

Regards
Ian