Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home

Author: Sam Lade
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] New PC for home
I'm interested in the theory, but I'm not sure it's more economical in
practice.

My desktop has a 3GHz Core 2 Duo processor (and a CUDA-capable graphics
card, for tasks that support that), which will wipe the floor with a
pair of old 1.6GHz processors. Total cost of the desktop hardware was
about £600 two years ago, and that's including a premium for a Shuttle
small form factor case and motherboard to make it easier to drag in and
out of uni.

A ~£150 dual-slot NAS with (currently) a £100 2TB drive runs file
distribution, file sharing, shares network services with the routers,
and runs other miscellaneous tasks (I have an IRC bot running on mine,
for example).

And I'd guess this setup is easier to maintain.

Multiple networked hosts have their place (distcc farms, etc), but I'm
not convinced the home is the place.

Sam