Re: [OxLUG] Sound and ALSA

Author: ael
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] Sound and ALSA
On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 11:31:25PM +0100, Peter Grandi wrote:
> > Michael Robinson asked about playing mp3 files: I already
> > mentioned alsaplayer,
> > [...]
>
> > but I meant to mention mpv as well.
>
> That 'mpv' is a nice fork of 'mplayer', but I would also mention
> the popular VLC that is also a "universal" player for both video
> and audio.

I don't use it very often, but I don't think it has many keyboards
controls, has it?

> On the general topic of ALSA there is an old but still good page
> here: http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html which is
> probably still useful even if most audio is currently routed

I found that a week or so ago: I didn't realise that you were on this
list :-)

> though the 'pulseaudio' daemon (which however usually uses

As I hinted earlier, that is one of my pet hates. Just like systemd from
the same stable, it hides all the useful controls and only presents
an infantile view of the sound system: Windows on Linux :-(
Mind you, I suspect its popularity is precisely because ALSA is so
badly documented. If ALSA had been easier to *understand* and use,
there would have been no need for a pulseaudio dumbing down.

ael