Re: [OxLUG] VOIP

Author: ael
To: oxlug
Subject: Re: [OxLUG] VOIP
On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 09:32:05AM +0000, Gregory Matthews wrote:
> yes this has to be reliable as I no longer have a landline.

The only interruptions that I have noticed with sipgate were down to ISP
breakdowns. So completely reliable as far as I can tell.

> Anyway, good to hear some positive feedback for sipgate. My main issue with
> them at the time was the "Zoiper" app that I was using on my phone, drained
> the battery quite quickly. Small price to pay for better service tho.

As I only have a dumb phone by choice, I can't really comment. But I
think there are many Android softphone clients, several open source,
including linphone. You should be able to find ones that handle battery
life properly.

But now I see that zoiper seems to be for Apple, a company that I have
completely rejected since the early days when I was going to offer to
upgrade the memory on an Apple 2 for a friend only to find that Apple
had drilled out the PCB to prevent adding extra RAM. They have been a
near criminal company ever since their foundation, and continue with
their environmental crimes by making repair near impossible (see iFixit)
and building in short term obsolescence. <\rant> Just say no:-)

ael